Sunday, October 2, 2011

Things that go away

A friend once mentioned to me about taking pictures of things that were going to be going away. The more I thought of it, I loved the idea. I know that I would love to see pictures of my mom and dad with their first t.v. set, automobile, true malt shops on the inside and many other things that have gone the way of the wind with new technology. In my day I've seen 8 track, lp, and single go away. Pay phones for the most part, dial phones, the first big cell phones we used, the first atari, record players, and the list is growing. I decided that I would take pictures for my kids to remember and grandkids who are likely to have never seen things that went away in my day.

I have a picture of Emma in a phone booth. I had to explain what to do. I also gave her 2 quarters because I wasn't sure how much it would cost. (used to be a dime)



The next thing is stores like blockbuster and movie gallery. With all the digital downloading that goes on, these stores will eventually go away all together. There are only a few left now.



The things in this next picture that will be going away are the watch that Big Jer is wearing and newspaper that he is reading (not Big Jer)! They already say that this generation (my childrens) is the one who is defined by not wearing watches. They all have cell phones, ipods, and are generally in front of a computer. No need for timepieces. The newspaper has slowly become replaced with online news.



More to come as I think of things. Let me know what you think might "go away".

No comments: