Saturday, November 24, 2012

What were we thinking??

We've been married almost 20 years and our kids are 16 and 13, and we decide to add dogs to the family? I blame my husband.... He started off talking about one dog and telling the kids it had to be a small dog that didn't shed. It needed to be some kind of poodle mix. Well out on the internet they went looking up dogs. When I was young we always had Cockapoo dogs so I was in favor of them. Little did I know what we used to call a "mutt" or "mixed" dog and paid $25 for, were now called designer dogs and you could add at least one 0 behind any amount you thought they were worth. The search went onto shelter sites and Craigslist. Hubby found some cute dogs at a shelter downtown and went with the kids to "look" at them. I just knew that they were coming home with them, I mean who just goes to look and does get? Well much to my surprise, he came back with just the kids, but he did tell me to go to the shelter on Monday and get the dogs. Todd made sure he asked how big they would get and was assured that they were small to larger small dogs. He was also told that one was a boy and one was a girl. It turns out that they are both boys (somebody there needs an update on their anatomy) and will get to be about 80 and 50 lbs. NOT my idea of a larger small dog! This is what they looked like when we brought them home. Emma with Kolby, a shepherd bloodhound mix Nolan with Milo, a Rottie shepherd mix and this is what Milo looks like 4 short months later. (I'll update with a pic of Kolby soon)
They are growing on me...sort of. We've had them fixed and are teaching them tricks. So far they can sit, lay down, play dead, roll over, high five, shake, speak (Milo), and spin. It took them a while to house train but they haven't peed in the house in a while and hit the bells on the back door to go out. There are days I can't believe we finally gave in and got dogs but the thought that they are leaving when my kids do helps me through some of the bad days.

No comments: