Wednesday, November 30, 2011

My sweet boy....

Well, eight years later....it happened. Nolan was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes in November of 2011. We have checked his blood sugar every 6 months when his sister Emma would go to the Endocrinologist for her diabetes, she was diagnosed at the age of 4. Nolan turned 15 earlier in the year and was insistent that he drive ALL the time. Two days in a row he complained of not feeling well and said he didn't think he should drive home. The first day I didn't think much of it, we all have sinus issues but on the second day when he said "I think I'm so tired because I had to get up twice to go to the bathroom last night", I knew in the pit of my stomach that I had to prick him when we got home. He had me do it three times but he was 322 each time. I called my husband and told him he needed to come home right away. Nolan packed a bag for the hospital, all the while telling me he wasn't going to need it...of course, he did. He is on 6-7 shots a day and is honeymooning. While this sounds like it's a good thing when it's related to diabetes...it's not. His pancreas has decided to work a little so he was hitting a lot of lows. It has been a constant changing of the novolog and checking a lot. He's actually doing fairly well with his adjustment to the new routine and Emma's numbers have improved since we've gone back to being hung-ho on the carbs and measuring.

We all did some crying, praying, and hugging that first night. God bless diabetics, they live with an unseen disease hour by hour.

I can't seem to find some of the pics I took in the ER but I'll add them later if I do.

No comments: