Friday, August 26, 2011

Ups and Downs - Alert Blood shot


With Diabetes we've had our ups and downs over the years. Very low sugars, once it took us to the hospital via ambulance due to seizures, and some bad highs that also landed us in the ER on iv's. It's been 8 years since Emma was diagnosed and I'll say again, I don't know that you ever truly manage diabetes. She was changing her site one night and came running into the kitchen crying. I turn to see this as she walks through the door.

She had her shirt pressed to her stomach with blood tricking down her leg and onto the floor. I pulled the shirt away to see what was going on and the blood was still pouring out with each heartbeat. Ice wrapped in a wet paper towel pressed to the site seemed to help it stop. She must have hit a blood vessel while pulling out the old site, still not sure how that happened. I walked back through the house cleaning up blood spots that i found while Todd helped her get another site on. Oh well, I think, I hope, I pray, we've covered all things that could happen and now we can just try to "manage" the diabetes.

No comments: