I got to the ER a little after lunch time and walked in just in time to prick Matt (I guess all my prior experience showed). Ashley was telling me that it took 2 nurses and a Dr. to hold him down the first time they pricked so all in all he did real well. Mom and I stayed at the hospital for a while and when they said he would probably be going home we went to the house to get things ready. We did a quick diabetic shopping trip (diet sodas, water, sugar free jello/pudding, and other snacks that were within a 17-20 carb range). Matt started out on 3 units of insulin with each meal and 9 units of Lantus at night. What is absolutely blowing my mind is that the Dr. didn't give a carb ratio for meals so that the insulin would work effectively. I gave Ash a few words of wisdom on how to count carbs (cheat by getting nutritional information from restaurants) and we tried to keep his count at about 30-40 per meal. I think the reality is hitting him that he can no longer just go and eat whatever he wants. In between meal snacks are only for when he is low.
They have another appointment in two weeks so hopefully they will start the sliding scale ratio (take insulin based on what you eat - not eat based on the amount of insulin) and counting carbs.

matthew after I pricked him

Ash giving a shot
No comments:
Post a Comment