Friday, November 30, 2007

Dinosaurs in Alabama

My 3rd grader went on a field trip to the Anniston Museum of Natural History with her school this past week. Since Emma has started school I have had to go on every field trip to deal with her diabetes. Until this year I have had to ride the bus to and from said field trips,...not that I don't enjoy screaming kids and sitting on a seat that feels like it's padded with rocks. This year I have moved up to being able to ride in a car with other moms!!

A field trip may sound fun, and some are, but when you remember them from your own time in school (Moundville is still the same collection on grassy mounds) it doesn't hold a lot of mystery for you.

I was also dreading this field trip, I knew it was going to be a tough day at work and felt I needed to be there but I'm glad I went because I enjoyed the ride up with three other moms and surprisingly enjoyed the Museum as well. Once we got past all the "Night at the Museum" references from the kids, the displays were very informative. There wasn't just stuffed animals sitting around, they were grouped into groups that told about the different wing spans on animals and how they used them and why animals had different types of beaks. The Egyptian rooms was interesting...the kids loved looking at the Mummies, and of course the main attraction was the T-Rex named Sue.

(Emma, second from right, and friends ready for the Museum)

(Mummies)

(Sue, is the largest, most complete, and best preserved Tyrannosaurus rex ever found. )

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How big are the feet on that mummy!?!?!?!?

That sucker looks like a size 30 at least...